Not sure how teeth whitening dentists can help you maintain a healthy smile? Read what experts at our dental clinic in Calgary have to share about teeth whitening services.
A teeth whitening dentist can make all the difference between you having the confidence to show off your smile and hiding it away. Social studies indicate that smiling makes you feel better and can make you appear friendly and more attractive. It is important to take care of your teeth for health reasons, but also to signal to the world that you are trustworthy and intelligent. Maybe you have extrinsic stains or spots that are preventing you from emitting that happy grin. Professional teeth whitening can help.
Teeth Whitening at a Dental Clinic in Calgary
For the most reliable and safe whitening, your dentist’s office is the place to be. A dentist knows exactly how often your teeth should be whitened, usually recommending no more than annually. Limiting the procedure to once per year helps prevent the dentin from deteriorating due to the chemicals used. Your dentist will inform you whether you are a good candidate for whitening.
When Should You Avoid Teeth Whitening?
- Intrinsic Stains – When stains are deep within the enamel of your teeth, teeth whitening is unable to change the appearance. This type of treatment targets the outer layer to remove surface stains due to things like red wine, highly pigmented foods, and excess coffee. Dental bonding or veneers are options for eliminating intrinsically stained teeth.
- Damage – Gum disease is one of the main reasons you should avoid teeth whitening since it can aggravate your issue, causing further problems.
- Pregnancy or Nursing – Are you pregnant or nursing? Then teeth whitening is not a good option for you. A small amount of the gel used during the procedure is usually swallowed by accident which can negatively affect your baby.
How to Keep Your Teeth Looking Great
Teeth whitening can help get rid of dental stains, but you still need to keep up with your oral health to maintain the positive effects. How do you do this?
- Brush Twice a Day and Floss Daily – This keeps your teeth and gums healthy until you are ready for another round of teeth whitening. A routine helps remove plaque, tartar, and minor staining while getting rid of excess food stuck in between your teeth.
- Reduce Your Sugar Intake – Sugary items combined with plaque can slowly dissolve your enamel.
- Avoid Certain Ingredients – Eating and drinking things like blueberries and tea can cause your teeth to stain quicker. If you want to keep them looking white, then consider minimizing your intake of these things. No one wants to have professional teeth whitening only to realize the addition of more stains a short while later.
You need to take care of your teeth regularly at every age. One week of vigorous brushing and flossing is only going to help your teeth during this short period. A healthy mouth is built on a lifetime of care. The results will give you confidence.
Five Main Teeth Whitening Dentist Benefits
Getting your teeth whiter at a dentist will improve more than just the look of your enamel.
1. Confidence – Probably one of the most amazing benefits is confidence. When you are happy with the way your mouth looks, you feel good showing it off through a great big smile.
2. Younger – Confidence is often tied to a youthful appearance. A confident smile can make you appear younger to the people around you.
3. Oral Health – When you maintain your whitening effects, you are taking better care of your mouth which helps improve your oral health. Regular care of your teeth and gums including properly brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash gets rid of negative bacteria. Visiting your dentist twice a year helps you stay on track for a healthy mouth.
4. Pain-Free – Going to the dentist for professional teeth whitening treatment is painless. The procedure usually takes less than an hour so you can relax in the dentist’s chair and get back to your daily routine quickly. You may notice some sensitivity for a few days after this process, but this is normal. It is a good idea to steer clear of extremely hot and cold food and drink during this period.
5. Customizable – For optimum results your dentist will work with you to achieve the look you desire. Whitening gradients are available for a hue that compliments the colour of your natural teeth.
The more advanced technology becomes, the quicker the teeth whitening process is. Currently, you can expect it to only take about 30 minutes. It will feel like you weren’t even at the dentist, and you can get on with your daily activities right after.
Are you Ready for a Whiter Smile?
Getting your teeth whiter starts with consulting with your teeth whitening dentist. At Glenbrook Dental, we ensure all your questions are answered honestly so you are fully prepared and confident for the treatment. After all, you deserve an amazing smile!