We are sure you have encountered someone in your life who has had their wisdom teeth removed. Not everyone develops wisdom teeth and not every wisdom tooth needs to be removed.
Top 5 reasons to have your wisdom teeth removed
- Insufficient space for them to grow in
- They cause pain as they are trying to erupt
- They are angled in a way that increases the risk of gum infection or damage to adjacent teeth
- They develop cavities
- They are positioned in a way that makes cleaning difficult
Best Time to Remove Wisdom Teeth
- Typically the best way for us to track your wisdom teeth development is through a full x-ray of your upper and lower jaw
- Ideally we start tracking the location and movement of wisdom teeth around the ages of 14-16.
- If they are developing and growing in an unfavorable direction or angulation, we will recommend that they be extracted as early as optimally possible
- The golden window of time to extract wisdom teeth is between the ages of 16 and 21 years.
The removal of wisdom teeth requires careful examination and preparation. At Glenbrook Dental, we will assess each case individually and give our patients our best recommendations for their wellbeing, which may include being referred to see one of our trusted oral surgeon specialists.
To find out more details about having your wisdom teeth removed, feel free to contact us via email or phone or book in with one of our doctors for an examination so that we may better discuss how to manage your wisdom teeth.