Have you lost a tooth and now feel self-conscious about the gap in your mouth? Dental implants can bring back your confidence and benefit your oral health. A dental implant clinic in SW Calgary is the place to start your journey back to a healthy, full grin.
What is a Dental Implant?
As an alternative to traditional dentures or bridgework, dental implants are titanium posts that create the foundation where artificial teeth are attached. This artificial root is surgically implanted into your jawbone to replace where your natural tooth’s root was.
Requirements for a Dental Implant
As long as your jawbone is strong and you are healthy, you are likely a candidate for a dental implant. Your dentist will assess your oral cavity to determine the course of action that will work for you.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Besides having the look and function of natural teeth, dental implants offer several benefits.
- Smile again – Dental implants are a reason to smile again. Every smile is gorgeous but maybe you don’t like the look of your gap tooth and never smile in photos. Implants can replace a single missing tooth or a full set of teeth. Nothing feels better than having the confidence to show off a beautiful grin.
- Securely Fit – If you have a traditional dental appliance you may worry about it falling out at the most inopportune time. Dentures and partial dentures can cause embarrassment when you are out in public but there are no moving parts with a dental implant. Implants are anchored to your jawbone so you can feel secure knowing they will stay where they are meant to.
- Look Younger – When you lose teeth your face can begin to sag which may cause you to look a lot older than you are. This happens because your jawbone has nothing to hold onto anymore and begins to weaken due to bone loss. Implants fill in the space where your tooth was sagging and can lead to new bone growth. Your face will begin to look fuller and more youthful again while bringing back the confidence you may have lost.
- Adjacent Teeth Stability – A missing tooth can cause a chain reaction where other teeth start to move and become misaligned. This can lead to a misaligned bite which can result in headaches and pain. Dental implants support your oral cavity and keep your mouth free of gaps with all your teeth in place.
- Gum Disease Prevention – When you have areas of missing teeth it is easier to end up with gum disease. Small food particles can more easily get stuck in void spaces causing a build-up of bacteria that can lead to gum problems.
- Improved Oral and Physical Health – Your oral health is directly connected to your physical health. A missing tooth can cause you to become weak due to unhealthy eating. You may be missing out on getting the proper nutrients when you experience difficulty eating certain foods. Implants function like regular teeth allowing you to easily eat anything you want.
Preventing Tooth Loss
Losing teeth is a common occurrence. It is good to know there are dental implant clinics in SW Calgary to repair the damage caused by an injury or health concern. Here are some things you can do to help prevent tooth loss.
- Never Forget the Basics – Take care of your oral health with twice daily brushing and once a day flossing. This helps prevent cavities and poor oral hygiene which are two of the top causes of losing teeth.
- Regularly Visit the Dentist – See your dentist and dental hygienist every six months to one year for regular check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist is usually the first to identify issues like tooth decay, infections, and oral cancers. If there is an oral health concern, they can offer solutions to rectify the problem before it becomes worse. Your hygienist keeps your teeth and gums free of plaque and tartar at every dental cleaning.
- Nip Bad Habits in the Bud – It’s time to take control of those bad habits of yours and take care of your mouth. Bad habits like smoking can cause you to have poor oral health. The chemicals in cigarettes not only stain your teeth but can lead to gum disease.
- Use a Mouthguard – There are sports mouthguards specially designed to protect your teeth. Accidents happen often while playing high-impact sports like football or soccer. Avoid experiencing your tooth falling out after being hit in the face by a ball or an elbow thanks to the protection of a mouthguard. Preventative care can reduce trauma to your oral cavity.
A dental implant clinic in SW Calgary helps you eliminate any suffering you may have due to tooth loss. Dental implants cost in Calgary can vary depending on the severity of your issue, but the benefits outweigh the cost whether it’s for one tooth or an entire dental arch. Speak with us at Glenbrook Dental to discover exactly how we can help you.