Are you confused regarding dental implants in Calgary? Experts at our clinic have narrowed down the process for you.
How Dental Implants Help You
Losing a tooth or multiple teeth can be traumatic. Spaces left behind in your mouth can cause a variety of issues from functionality to form. There is a solution – dental implants in Calgary which can prevent problems with your oral cavity. This surgical procedure is one that only a certified dentist should perform for the safest, most reliable outcome. The results will leave you smiling, and no one will even know you have false teeth.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a titanium post or posts surgically screwed into your jawbone that forms the foundation where false teeth are attached. This treatment is an option when you are unable to or prefer to avoid regular dentures, crowns, and bridges.
Why You Should Get Tooth Gaps Filled In
It is never a good idea to leave a space between your teeth because it can lead to complications such as:
- Facial Structure Changes – the portion of bone that supports your missing tooth/teeth can slowly disintegrate. Bone loss can cause a sunken-looking face when the area where the tooth’s root was, begins to collapse.
- Misaligned Teeth – Your teeth work together to form a strong connection, keeping all your teeth in line. When even just one tooth is missing the structure is compromised, increasing the chances for your smile to get crooked and wonky.
- Infection – There is a higher risk of infection when you leave gaps between your teeth. The hole is a breeding ground for germs to hang out which can lead to infection. Periodontal disease can damage the surrounding tissue and cause bacteria to enter your bloodstream, leading to a host of other health complications.
- Embarrassment – When you have gaps where teeth once were you may avoid smiling due to loss of self-confidence.
- Loss of Normal Functions – Eating, drinking, and speaking are all natural activities, but when you have lost a tooth or multiple teeth it becomes more difficult to do these things. This can lead to poor nutrition especially if you avoid certain foods because you can’t chew them.
More than One Type of Dental Implant
There are three different types of dental implants in Calgary. Your dentist will recommend the one that works for your situation.
1. Endosteal Implants – The most basic and safest implant procedure which can only be performed if you have a healthy jawbone. The implant needs a structurally sound jawbone for proper fusion.
2. Subperiosteal Implants – If you have too little bone in your jawline then this is likely the choice implant type for you.
3. Zygomatic Implants – The most complex implant type, it is anchored into your cheekbone instead of your upper jaw. This is commonly used for those with bone loss in the back upper jaw.
What Happens at a Dental Implants Clinic?
You may be wondering what goes on during the treatment itself. Many steps occur over time.
- Step 1: The first thing that will happen when deciding on dental implants is your dentist will schedule an assessment. During your consultation you can ask questions and your dentist will fill you in on the process. This step is for your utmost safety, ensuring nothing gets in the way of your treatment plan.
- Step 2: The next thing to occur will be dental X-rays. A complete picture of your facial structure and bone mass will help determine what type of implants will work for you.
- Step 3: Your implant is customized for the shape and size of your mouth and the false teeth are created to provide a natural look.
- Step 4: The procedure itself requires you to be put under an anesthetic so the experience is comfortable.
- Step 5: The titanium posts are surgically inserted under your gum line and in your jaw. A temporary denture may be put in the implant location while you heal. This can take several weeks or even months. It is an important time when the bone fuses to the implant in the process called osseointegration.
- Step 6: After this time, the gum is reopened, and the connecting element known as the abutment is placed on top. A crown is securely attached to the abutment and the process is complete.
It will take some time to get used to your new teeth, but soon you will be maneuvering your mouth around like normal.
Dental Implants and What They Provide
Confidence and oral health are two of the main things you can benefit from after getting dental implants. It is time to smile again so ask your dentist if, and when you need dental implants in Calgary. They can last a lifetime if you take proper care of them so make the most out of your dental visit. If you have further questions, we, at Glenbrook Dental, are here to help so just give us a call.