Smiling is scientifically proven to brighten your mood. Not only can a happy grin make you feel better, but it can improve the attitude of people around you. So, why not smile and add some positive vibes to your day? Maybe you feel a little self-conscious due to some stains on your teeth. Checking in with a teeth whitening dentist can help. A professional teeth whitening treatment only takes 30 minutes to an hour and the results are visible practically immediately.
What Happens During a Professional Teeth Whitening Treatment?
Before teeth whitening, your dentist will recommend a complete teeth cleaning to remove plaque and tartar. This process allows for better whitening results. Here are the steps that occur to get your smile shining.
- Gauze – Gauze is placed in your mouth to keep it dry
- Barriers – Retractors are used to help relax your jaw and keep the gel away from your gums, inner cheeks, and lips. Your gums are also painted with a barrier that keeps them safe from the whitening agent.
- A specialized light activates the gel which automatically turns off when the procedure is complete
- Your teeth are rinsed, and you can go home
This treatment is completely pain-free though you may feel a slight tingling or tiny bit of warmth when the light is on. It is completely normal to experience some sensitivity after your treatment, but this will generally go away within a few days. If it persists and you feel uncomfortable, you should visit your dentist again.
How Do You Know if Teeth Whitening is Right for You?
Before a teeth whitening treatment, your dentist will thoroughly examine your mouth to ensure no complications will prevent positive results. Your dental and medical history are reviewed to avoid issues. If your enamel is yellowed or no longer appears pearly white, then you may be a good candidate for this type of dental service.
Why You Should Get a Professional Teeth Whitening
Going to a teeth whitening dentist is the optimal solution for fixing discoloured teeth. A dentist knows how to ensure the treatment is safe. As a bonus, professional whitening products are likely to work quicker and last longer than in-store kits due to the concentration of the bleaching agent. Your dentist will monitor the process to make sure everything goes according to plan.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
The main benefits of getting your teeth whitened are:
- Confidence Boost – A boost in confidence does wonders for your mental health and can also improve your posture. When you look good, you tend to walk taller. Look and feel the way you should with a brighter smile.
- Youthful Look – When you have clear, wrinkle-free skin, people often think you are younger. This is also reflected in the look of your teeth. White teeth emit a certain radiance that generates a youthful glow. The only one who truly knows your age is you and your dental professional.
- Positive Health – There is a higher possibility of having a healthy mouth when you take care of it. Removing plaque, tartar, and stains from your teeth makes it more difficult for negative bacteria to form. After a teeth whitening, you will do what you can to keep this bright smile. When you are better at maintaining a brushing and flossing routine, you will reap the rewards of a strong oral cavity. A healthy mouth can help you avoid the risk of periodontal disease that could lead to systemic diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular problems.
Keeping Your Teeth White
How do you maintain your naturally white smile? Here are some things you can do.
- Avoid eating and drinking things that are known to stain your teeth like coffee, tea, and cherries
- Eat foods that help produce saliva like apples and celery since saliva helps to protect your teeth from staining
- Use a whitening toothpaste to help whiten your teeth every time you brush
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating food with dark pigments to help prevent staining
Also, you may want to keep up a teeth whitening routine to keep them looking the way you want. Your dentist will likely recommend once a year for this treatment.
Time to Smile
A teeth whitening dentist is your go-to for positive whitening results. Over whitening your teeth can harm the enamel so listen to your dentist’s advice to avoid any negative results. With all the benefits of professional teeth whitening, why wouldn’t you want to have this done!? You can contact us at Glenbrook Dental for any questions or inquiries regarding this and other treatments.